“Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.” -Psalm 119:11
Many of us who call ourselves Christians, we attend church, sing songs, read our Bible, & pray. Some of us, who call ourselves Christians, do these things regularly…some do them sparingly. What if, one day, our freedom to worship, our freedom of religion, what if one day that was taken away? What if, one day, we were not allowed to have a Bible (on paper or electronic)? Would we be able to keep true to the above verse? Would we have God’s Word written on our heart, to sustain us, when we didn’t have much access any other way? I know I would struggle with this. I can quote you a few verses here & there, but if I truly say I believe what I believe, why don’t I know His Word like the back of my hand? If I say I believe this book I read, & the God who wrote it, shouldn’t I know what it says? Ultimately, it’s not about legalism & memorizing scripture to be a “good Christian,” but so that when the time & need arises, I will be prepared & have His Word ready on my heart to sustain me or bring hope to someone in need.
So…take this month to do that. I have added some encouraging scriptures below that you can memorize this month. Try to memorize one each day, then on the next day, review back over the ones you’ve already memorized to keep them fresh & ready on your heart. Write them on note cards if you have to, or find an app on your phone that can help you memorize them…just LEARN it! I’ll check back in at the end of the month. Find a friend to do this with & challenge each other throughout the month. And please, don’t feel like you have to memorize the ones below…these are just some I find encouraging & faith-building. Honestly, I will add more as I go even beyond this month because the Bible is filled, from front to back, with encouragement & hope…& they can’t all fit in 28 days. Happy memorizing!
- “And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” – Philippians 1:6
- “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.” – John 3:17
- “The Lord is my light & my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” – Psalm 27:1
- “Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident. One thing I have desired of the Lord, that I will seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, & to inquire in His temple.” – Psalm 27:3-4
- “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good & acceptable & perfect.” Romans 12:2
- “And now, Lord, look upon their threats & grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, & signs & wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” -Acts 4:29-30
- “The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, & let us put on the armor of light.” – Romans 13:12
- “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy & acceptable to Gd, which is your spiritual worship.” – Romans 12:1
- “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue & if there is anything praiseworthy- meditate on these things.” – Philippians 4:8
- “Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brother love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer…” – Romans 12:9-12
- “And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Has the Lord’s arm been shortened? Now you shall see whether what I say will happen to you or not.'” -Numbers 11:23
- “Most assuredly, I say unto you that you will weep & lament, but the world will rejoice; & you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy.” – John 16:20
- “John answered & said, ‘ A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven.'” – John 3:27
- “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” – Hebrews 11:1
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, & forever.” – Hebrews 13:8
- “For none of us lives to himself, & no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; & if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s.” – Romans 14:7-8
- “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, & I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” – John 15:5
- “All things were made through Him & without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, & the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, & the darkness did not comprehend it.” – John 1:3-5
- “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod & Your staff, they comfort me.” – Psalm 23:1-4
- “…but I want you to be wise in what is good, & simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.” – Romans 16:19b-20
- “For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience & comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.” – Romans 15:4
- “For the law was given through Moses, but grace & truth through Jesus Christ.” – John 1:17
- Remember the prisoners as if chained with them- those who are mistreated- since you yourselves are in the body also.” – Hebrews 13:3
- “Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper, I will not fear, what can man do to me?'” – Hebrews 13:5-6
- “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy & peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” – Romans 15:13
- “he must increase, but I must decrease.” -John 3:30
- “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, & His ears are open to their prayers; but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” – 1 Peter 3:12
- “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word & believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, & shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” – John 5:24
Happy memorizing, & happy February!
Be blessed, friends!